How to Get Temporally Driving Permit in Sri Lanka
Decided to drive yourself on the roads of Sri Lanka? Rest assured. We have included everything you need to know and it’s just a 1-minute read.
According to the laws in Sri Lanka (MOTOR TRAFFIC (AMENDMENT)ACT, NO. 8 OF 2009), non-residents or foreigners should obtain a driving permit to ride a vehicle on their own.
There are two options available.
- Obtaining a Temporary Sri Lankan Driving Permit
- Possessing an endorsed International driving Permit
If you are going for the option 1,
- You should have a Driving License from your home country.
- You don’t have to go through either the written or practical examinations if you have a foreign license.
- The country, which is the issuer of the license should be approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- If the license is not in English, an English translation of the license issued by the relevant embassy or any authority in each country is mandatory.
- Needful documents.
- Your own Country Driving License (English Copy/ Translation if not in English) + Photocopy
- Your National Passport + Photocopy of profile/photo page and Sri Lankan Visa Page
The temporary Sri Lankan Driving Permit could be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles in Werahera, Borelasgamuwa. (Location: https://goo.gl/maps/PbKeS5w4VBrm5uXd6)
To know about charges, visit Charges For Services
For more information, visit Department of Motor Traffic
If you are going for the option 2,
The International Drivers License or the International Driving Permit obtained in your home country should be endorsed by the Automobile Association of Ceylon.
Now you are super ready to drive around Sri Lanka on your own. Have a safe ride.